Friday, March 29, 2013

The Art Of Unplanned Gardening

Have you ever looked at a seed and thought, "I wonder what would happen if I stuck that in some dirt."

I do that all the time. But then I end up with an unplanned garden. It started with one little acorn.

The Acorn:
It was that time of the year when when acorns rained from the sky like tiny pointy missiles. I rarely ever made it inside without minor injuries or bruises. And then, one day I decided to collect a few acorns. I ended up with three good specimens. There was an empty pot of dirt on the counter. I stuck one in there, the other two were thrown back outside. After about a week I saw it. A tiny little green thing sticking out of the dirt. The acorn thrived and it is now about 5-6 inches tall.

The Chia:
About a week later, I was trying some Chia seeds. After eating a few I dropped the rest into the same pot that the acorn lived in. I had thought they would be extra fertilizer until I noticed a tiny green sprout. A total of 5 sprouted. One survived. It is now 4-5 Inches tall with lots of little leaves.

The Squash:
Soon after that I harvested some seeds from a Butternut Squash. I dropped one seed into another pot that was on the counter. I figured it would never grow. I was wrong. The little Squashlit sprouted very soon after planting it. 2-3 weeks later the squash has started to get flower buds.

The Mungs And The Apples:
I have planted some Mung Beans and one apple seed. I don't know what will sprout at this point. I wonder what will be added to my 'garden' next....

No comments:

Post a Comment